Who Are We?
We’re a force for good.
The Drayton Valley Community Foundation is a group of locals dedicated to making life better and goals achievable within the town of Drayton Valley and beyond. We connect individuals, families and businesses to community organizations and non-profits. Being a catalyst for collaborative philanthropy is powerful—we work to build our community for the long-term, in a sustainable way, creating a place where everyone can thrive.
In 1994, a group of local philanthropists came together to form our Foundation. Since our first donation more than 25 years ago, many dedicated community members have made an impact in helping us grow: to a $5.5 million dollar foundation!
We are proud and motivated—it’s Drayton Valley’s energy, leadership and trust that continues to help us empower our community for the benefit of all.
What we do.
The most inspiring thing? We will never leave or stop giving back to our community. At the Drayton Valley Community Foundation, we work hard to ensure we are a sustainable foundation and trusted, professional stewards of the donations we receive…all while helping other local charities to do the same through strategic investing of generous gifts from donors.
Wait—what’s a Community Foundation?
In simplest terms, community foundations are charitable organizations dedicated to improving communities in specific geographical areas. Foundations do this by pooling the charitable gifts of donors to create endowment funds and using the investment income to make grants.
The Drayton Valley Community Foundation is a member of Community Foundations of Canada, the “national membership organization for the 191 community foundations across Canada.”
To download Community Foundations Canada Fact Sheet click on button below.
We build a vibrant community by connecting gifts of energy, ideas, time and money to the needs and opportunities of Drayton Valley and area.
Strengthening the community by connecting people to causes that matter.
Eleanor Pickup Arts Centre
The Eleanor Pickup Arts Centre is a multipurpose performing arts venue for the greater Drayton Valley, Brazeau County & surrounding communities.
The volunteer board encourages & fosters participation in the performing arts field. Many different user groups utilize the facility for programs and shows.
The grant awarded will allow the Arts Centre to install permanent lights and sound system.
Homelessness and Poverty
The best part of our charity is all the beautiful people we get to meet and causes we get to support.
DVCF was able to grant from our Crisis Relief fund. It went to support the Drayton Valley Homelessness and Poverty Team in supplying its clients with necessities such as food, laundry, access to technology, and other needed supplies. A program like this in our Community ensures everyone can meet their basic human needs.
Thank you for all the hard work you do!
Drayton Valley Historical Society
Drayton Valley Community Foundation provided the Drayton Valley Historical Society grant funding for artifact preservation from our Education and Scholarship Fund. The Drayton Valley Museum works tirelessly to ensure the history of Drayton Valley and surrounding areas is recorded and preserved.
The Drayton Valley Museum collection includes upwards of 5000 historical artifacts that exhibit local culture and the development of Drayton Valley and district. With a variety of physical objects and archived photographs, the museum holds a little bit of everything for everyone!
If you drive past this summer, you will see summer students and volunteers busy at work. The museum will be closed for summer 2020, but this is a must-see when they reopen in 2021!
We are sending a thank you to the Historical Society for all the work you do in our community!
Our volunteer Board of Directors serves a 3-year term, with a maximum of two terms. All directors are tactically chosen based on their credentials and desire for being changemakers in our community. The unique passion that each director brings to DVCF makes the important decisions they make as a board more versatile and open-minded when serving YOUR community.
We’re only as strong and unique as the individuals who volunteer their time. The people who sit on our committees help make vital decisions based on what is best for our community. If you are interested in volunteering on a committee, contact us today—we’d be happy to tell you more.
- Meets bi-annually
- Reviews all grant, scholarship and bursary applications
- Well-versed in the needs of the community
- Many members serve on more than one board, increase the knowledge of other community initiatives
- Are the Foundation’s number crunchers!
- Decides how to invest donations to yield the best return
- Safeguards all investments
- Imperative to the financial sustainability of the foundation
- Focuses on proper procedure
- Steers the direction of the foundation
- Ensures all bylaws, policies and procedures are relevant and current
Fund Development Committee
- Works with donors and their expectations
- Ensures we offer every possible tailored giving options
- Ensures the causes that need to be served are receiving the funds to support them
- Meets yearly to audit the books
- The core of being good stewards
- Ensures financial reports are transparent and true
- Works to have many different talents on the board and within DVCF staff
- Covers every need of the foundation within our Board, committees and staff for the most powerful results
- Spreads the word about what we do for maximum foundation success,
- Ensures we use our talents and resources properly to reach all demographics